Darien Elementary School prides itself in preparing our oldest elementary-aged students for the next step.
The school recently transitioned from a neighborhood elementary that served students through grade 5, to one that now only serves our Delavan-Darien community’s fourth and fifth graders.
This “Center School” concept will have all students together as a graduating class from preschool through high school. So, when Darien Elementary School students progress to Phoenix Middle School, they’ll already know all their classmates!
The school is also the first step for instrumental music instruction, with orchestra (strings) instruction beginning in fourth grade, and percussion, brass and woodwind instruction beginning in grade 5. Instrumental music is a huge component of our nationally-recognized music program offerings for all students. We are one of just a handful of districts in the county that still offers a full-fledged strings instruction curriculum, and our orchestras are top-notch!
Darien Elementary School students have access to the latest technology. Our One-to-One technology program is district-wide and our fourth and fifth graders will use the latest generation of Chromebook laptops to enhance their learning. Many of our curriculum materials have shifted from paper to electronic versions, so students always have the most up-to-date information at their fingertips.
In the 2017-18 school year, our district-wide Dual Language Education program will reach Darien Elementary, too. It is currently offered in 4-year-old kindergarten through grade 3, but we are incrementally adding grade levels as the program progresses. In this model, students as young as 4-year-old kindergarten are immersed in bilingual classrooms where Spanish and English are the dominant languages. In fact, in 4-year-old kindergarten, Spanish is spoken about 90 percent of the school day. As the students progress throughout their elementary grades, additional English is introduced until the instruction is split about 50/50 between the two languages in grade 3. The choice program is open to all students — including native English speakers — and sets kids on a pathway to becoming bilingual, biliterate, bicultural and much more employable when they’re adults!
Here’s our 10 most-recent headlines.
Click here for more news!
- Delavan-Darien School Board approves petition calling for changes to school fundingDelavan-Darien School Board approves petition calling for changes to school fundingSign it online or in-person at our school offices.DELAVAN — The Delavan-Darien School Board has unanimously approved a petition to Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and the state’s legislature to make adjustments to the state equalized aid (revenue limit) formula.The petition asks lawmakers to take ... read morePublished Monday, December 11, 2017
- Basketball Teams collecting for Comet Care CentersDDHS Basketball Team members show off some of the collection boxes for the Comet Care Center drive.The Delavan-Darien High School Comets boys basketball teams are holding a collection drive to support the Delavan-Darien High School Comet Care Center needs.The DDHS Comet Care Center is a resource center housed in the ... read morePublished Thursday, December 7, 2017
- Weather Related School Closings and Absences ProceduresInformation Regarding School Weather Closings and AbsencesInformación Sobre el Cierre de las EscuelasEnglishAs winter is now fully upon us, I wanted to take the time to remind you that if you ever feel the weather conditions make it unsafe for your child to come to school, you may make arrangements ... read morePublished Wednesday, December 6, 2017
- DDHS Announcements: 12/4/2017Monday, December 4, 2017DDHS Lunch Menu: Teriyaki Chicken w/ Rice, Cheeseburger, Corndog, Grilled Cheese, Salad Bar, Soup, Peas, California Veggies, Pineapple, Fruit, Frozen Slushie, MilkAnnouncements: PARKING NOTICE: SENIORS – Thursday, December 7 is the Reality Fair. Please do not park in the senior lot. We are reserving ... read morePublished Monday, December 4, 2017
- 2017 ‘Hour of Code’ campaign kicks off soonDelavan-Darien School District students will be practicing computer “Coding” over the next couple of weeks. Library Staff (K-12) and Computer (K-5) are challenging all our students to discuss or show someone outside of the school “What coding can do.”Library and Computer staff will be tracking how many people our students reach ... read morePublished Friday, December 1, 2017
- NOTICE OF 2018 SCHOOL BOARD ELECTIONNOTICE OF SCHOOL BOARD ELECTION — SCHOOL DISTRICT OF DELAVAN-DARIENAPRIL 3, 2018NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that at an election to be held in the School District of Delavan-Darien on Tuesday, April 3, 2018, the following offices are to be elected to succeed the present incumbents listed. The term of office for ... read morePublished Tuesday, November 28, 2017
- DD INSIDE LOOK: Yoga providing benefits in Kindergarten classroomsKids need movement. Delavan-Darien Kindergarten students get an extra dose of it in a way that re-focuses their attention and gets them ready to learn. They practice yoga 30 minutes daily right after lunch recess.“All kids, especially at a young age, they need to move and we don’t move enough ... read morePublished Monday, November 27, 2017
- Delavan-Darien School District ‘Exceeds Expectations’ on State Report CardsDELAVAN — The Delavan-Darien School District “Exceeds Expectations,” according to the latest school district report cards released today (Tuesday, Nov. 21, 2017) by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. The district’s overall score of 82.3 was the highest it has ever been in the six-year history of the DPI’s ... read morePublished Tuesday, November 21, 2017
- Darien students spread anti-bullying messageClick to view all slides We’re in the midst of Anti-Bullying Week here in the US. It runs Nov. 13-17, 2017, and is a week to shine a spotlight on bullying by encouraging all children, teachers and parents to take action against bullying throughout the year. The theme this year ... read morePublished Wednesday, November 15, 2017
- Ski and Snowboard Club Meeting is Nov. 14ATTENTION: Delavan-Darien Skiers and Snowboarders!!! Looking for some winter fun?! The Delavan Darien Ski & Snowboard Club invites you to an Informational Night (for students 3rd grade or higher): Mark your calendars for: Tuesday, November 14th 3 p.m. at DDHS and; 5 p.m. at Phoenix Middle School. For more information, please ... read morePublished Tuesday, November 7, 2017
Darien Elementary School 125 S. Walworth St., Darien, WI | Phone: 262-233-6400 | en Español: 262-233-6490 | Fax: 262-724-4147 | Contact Us | Nondiscrimination Statement
© Copyright - Delavan-Darien School District | This page last modified: Nov 14, 2017 @ 8:31 pm
The Delavan-Darien School District does not accept unsolicited email, phone or fax advertisements.