Darien Elementary School prides itself in preparing our oldest elementary-aged students for the next step.
The school recently transitioned from a neighborhood elementary that served students through grade 5, to one that now only serves our Delavan-Darien community’s fourth and fifth graders.
This “Center School” concept will have all students together as a graduating class from preschool through high school. So, when Darien Elementary School students progress to Phoenix Middle School, they’ll already know all their classmates!
The school is also the first step for instrumental music instruction, with orchestra (strings) instruction beginning in fourth grade, and percussion, brass and woodwind instruction beginning in grade 5. Instrumental music is a huge component of our nationally-recognized music program offerings for all students. We are one of just a handful of districts in the county that still offers a full-fledged strings instruction curriculum, and our orchestras are top-notch!
Darien Elementary School students have access to the latest technology. Our One-to-One technology program is district-wide and our fourth and fifth graders will use the latest generation of Chromebook laptops to enhance their learning. Many of our curriculum materials have shifted from paper to electronic versions, so students always have the most up-to-date information at their fingertips.
In the 2017-18 school year, our district-wide Dual Language Education program will reach Darien Elementary, too. It is currently offered in 4-year-old kindergarten through grade 3, but we are incrementally adding grade levels as the program progresses. In this model, students as young as 4-year-old kindergarten are immersed in bilingual classrooms where Spanish and English are the dominant languages. In fact, in 4-year-old kindergarten, Spanish is spoken about 90 percent of the school day. As the students progress throughout their elementary grades, additional English is introduced until the instruction is split about 50/50 between the two languages in grade 3. The choice program is open to all students — including native English speakers — and sets kids on a pathway to becoming bilingual, biliterate, bicultural and much more employable when they’re adults!
Here’s our 10 most-recent headlines.
Click here for more news!
- After School Activities Canceled: 4/18/18Dear Delavan-Darien School District families, All Delavan-Darien School District after-school activities scheduled for today, 4/18/18, have been canceled due to the weather. Please check our website, www.ddschools.org, for further updates. Thank you. ***** Estimadas Familias del Distrito Escolar Delavan-Darien, Todas las Actividades Despu és de Clases del Distrito Escolar Delavan-Darien programadas para el ... read morePublished Wednesday, April 18, 2018
- NO SCHOOL: Friday, Feb. 9 (Weather Closing)ORIGINAL MESSAGEDear Delavan-Darien School District families,All Delavan-Darien schools are closed 2/9/2018 due to the weather. All after-school activities have also been canceled. Please check our website, www.ddschools.org, for further updates.Thank you. EspañolEstimadas Familias del Distrito Escolar Delavan-Darien,Todas las escuelas de Delavan-Darien estaran cerradas el 9/2/2018, debido al clima. Todas las actividades después ... read morePublished Thursday, February 8, 2018
- All After School Activities Cancelled 2/5/18All Delavan-Darien School District after-school activities scheduled for today, 2/5/18, have been canceled due to the weather. This includes the High School Community Collaboration Meeting. Stay safe! ... read morePublished Monday, February 5, 2018
- Hoops and Tech Night 2018See our Tech Teams In Action!Thursday, Feb. 22, 20185:30 – 7 p.m. @ DDHS, Hoops games start at 5:30 & 7 p.m. Student DemosWatch and learn as our students show you how they use all kinds of different tech in our amazing 21st Century classrooms! Hands OnSee for yourself! Get to experience ... read morePublished Friday, February 2, 2018
- IN PICS: Wax Museum of Reading 2018CLICK PIC for more images in our gallery!Darien Elementary fifth graders came to life as characters from their favorite books in the annual 2018 Wax Museum of Reading Event! The event is a fundraiser for the class trip to a springtime Milwaukee Brewers game. The event was held over two ... read morePublished Tuesday, January 30, 2018
- SCHOOLS CLOSED: Tuesday, Jan. 23, due to weatherDear Delavan-Darien School District families,All Delavan-Darien schools are closed today, Tuesday, Jan. 23, 2018 due to the weather. All after-school activities have also been canceled. Please check our website, www.ddschools.org, for further updates.Thank you.Estimadas Familias del Distrito Escolar Delavan-Darien,Todas las escuelas de Delavan-Darien están cerradas el día de hoy, Martes, ... read morePublished Tuesday, January 23, 2018
- Delavan-Darien Authorizes $3.5 Million Operating Referendum for April 3 BallotFunding marked for current, upgraded programs and facility improvementsOn January 8, the Delavan-Darien Board of Education unanimously authorized an operating referendum for community vote. If approved, the April 3 referendum would provide $500,000 per year for three years (2018/19 – 2020/21) for academic and vocational classroom improvements, upgrades for culinary ... read morePublished Friday, January 19, 2018
- Phoenix Career Fair is March 14, 2018. Volunteers needed!Phoenix Middle School is hosting a Career Expo Fair for the Phoenix Middle School students (6th-8th Grade) from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., Wednesday, March 14. Volunteer guests are needed at the Career Expo Fair and will provide expertise to help middle school students have a better understanding of their career goals and pathways.CLICK PIC FOR ... read morePublished Thursday, January 18, 2018
- Summer Fun and Resource Fair 2018DON’T MISS THIS FREE EVENT!Get ready for the summer and beyond! Delavan-Darien School District is hosting its third annual Summer Fun and Community Resource Fair.Date: Saturday, February 24, 2018Time: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.Location: Phoenix Middle School, 414 Beloit St., Delavan, WI (map)Admission is free for both visitors and vendors. ... read morePublished Thursday, January 18, 2018
- Fire Alarms/Evacuation at DDHS – 1-17-18, 9:55 a.m.UPDATE 10:02 a.m.:Fire crews have determined it was a faulty detector in the ductwork near the pool area. School operations are resuming again as normal. All students and staff are safe.ORIGINAL POSTStudents and staff at DDHS were evacuated from the building about 9:37 a.m. today, Wednesday, Jan. 17 2018, for ... read morePublished Wednesday, January 17, 2018
Darien Elementary School 125 S. Walworth St., Darien, WI | Phone: 262-233-6400 | en Español: 262-233-6490 | Fax: 262-724-4147 | Contact Us | Nondiscrimination Statement
© Copyright - Delavan-Darien School District | This page last modified: Jan 4, 2018 @ 12:33 pm
The Delavan-Darien School District does not accept unsolicited email, phone or fax advertisements.