Darien Elementary School prides itself in preparing our oldest elementary-aged students for the next step.
The school recently transitioned from a neighborhood elementary that served students through grade 5, to one that now only serves our Delavan-Darien community’s fourth and fifth graders.
This “Center School” concept will have all students together as a graduating class from preschool through high school. So, when Darien Elementary School students progress to Phoenix Middle School, they’ll already know all their classmates!
The school is also the first step for instrumental music instruction, with orchestra (strings) instruction beginning in fourth grade, and percussion, brass and woodwind instruction beginning in grade 5. Instrumental music is a huge component of our nationally-recognized music program offerings for all students. We are one of just a handful of districts in the county that still offers a full-fledged strings instruction curriculum, and our orchestras are top-notch!
Darien Elementary School students have access to the latest technology. Our One-to-One technology program is district-wide and our fourth and fifth graders will use the latest generation of Chromebook laptops to enhance their learning. Many of our curriculum materials have shifted from paper to electronic versions, so students always have the most up-to-date information at their fingertips.
In the 2017-18 school year, our district-wide Dual Language Education program will reach Darien Elementary, too. It is currently offered in 4-year-old kindergarten through grade 3, but we are incrementally adding grade levels as the program progresses. In this model, students as young as 4-year-old kindergarten are immersed in bilingual classrooms where Spanish and English are the dominant languages. In fact, in 4-year-old kindergarten, Spanish is spoken about 90 percent of the school day. As the students progress throughout their elementary grades, additional English is introduced until the instruction is split about 50/50 between the two languages in grade 3. The choice program is open to all students — including native English speakers — and sets kids on a pathway to becoming bilingual, biliterate, bicultural and much more employable when they’re adults!
Here’s our 10 most-recent headlines.
Click here for more news!
- District seeking input from parents, business leadersDelavan-Darien Parents, The Delavan-Darien School district is seeking support and input from parents and area business leaders regarding the development of curriculum materials and programming to better serve our community and students. The district is trying to stay as up-to-date as possible to prepare our students, for their ... read morePublished Monday, November 6, 2017
- Darien students have annual Vocabulary ParadeDarien students line the school hallways for the annual Vocabulary Parade. CLICK PIC for other images in our gallery! Words were everywhere once again at Darien Elementary School as the school recently held the 2017 Vocabulary Parade! We spotted a “valiant” knight. A “noble” princess. “Pioneers” with their wagon train. ... read morePublished Wednesday, November 1, 2017
- Don’t be scared, Be prepared! Halloween safety tipsIt’s that time of year when ghosts and witches will be roaming neighborhoods looking for treats. Before those princesses and superheroes are ready to start trick-or-treating, ReadyWisconsin has a few tips to help you and your families have a happy and safe Halloween. Trick or Treat Rules Children under the ... read morePublished Tuesday, October 24, 2017
- Cold and Flu Season 2017 is HereCold and Flu Season 2017 is Here The Walworth County Health and Human Services Department would like to remind everyone that Cold and Flu Season is here. The department has provided the below fact sheet of determining if you or your child has the flu, a cold or whooping cough. ... read morePublished Friday, October 20, 2017
- Butter Braid fundraiser pickup tonight (Monday, Oct. 16)A reminder for families that participated in the Butter Braid fundraiser: Pick-up for your purchased items are tonight, Monday, Oct. 16, at Wileman Elementary from 3:30-6:30 p.m. Thank you. ... read morePublished Monday, October 16, 2017
Darien Elementary School 125 S. Walworth St., Darien, WI | Phone: 262-233-6400 | en Español: 262-233-6490 | Fax: 262-724-4147 | Contact Us | Nondiscrimination Statement
© Copyright - Delavan-Darien School District | This page last modified: Nov 14, 2017 @ 8:31 pm
The Delavan-Darien School District does not accept unsolicited email, phone or fax advertisements.