Darien Elementary School prides itself in preparing our oldest elementary-aged students for the next step.
The school recently transitioned from a neighborhood elementary that served students through grade 5, to one that now only serves our Delavan-Darien community’s fourth and fifth graders.
This “Center School” concept will have all students together as a graduating class from preschool through high school. So, when Darien Elementary School students progress to Phoenix Middle School, they’ll already know all their classmates!
The school is also the first step for instrumental music instruction, with orchestra (strings) instruction beginning in fourth grade, and percussion, brass and woodwind instruction beginning in grade 5. Instrumental music is a huge component of our nationally-recognized music program offerings for all students. We are one of just a handful of districts in the county that still offers a full-fledged strings instruction curriculum, and our orchestras are top-notch!
Darien Elementary School students have access to the latest technology. Our One-to-One technology program is district-wide and our fourth and fifth graders will use the latest generation of Chromebook laptops to enhance their learning. Many of our curriculum materials have shifted from paper to electronic versions, so students always have the most up-to-date information at their fingertips.
In the 2017-18 school year, our district-wide Dual Language Education program will reach Darien Elementary, too. It is currently offered in 4-year-old kindergarten through grade 3, but we are incrementally adding grade levels as the program progresses. In this model, students as young as 4-year-old kindergarten are immersed in bilingual classrooms where Spanish and English are the dominant languages. In fact, in 4-year-old kindergarten, Spanish is spoken about 90 percent of the school day. As the students progress throughout their elementary grades, additional English is introduced until the instruction is split about 50/50 between the two languages in grade 3. The choice program is open to all students — including native English speakers — and sets kids on a pathway to becoming bilingual, biliterate, bicultural and much more employable when they’re adults!
Click events below to see details. For an alternate view, click here.
Here’s our 10 most-recent headlines.
Click here for more news!
- After School Activities Canceled: 1-11-18Dear Delavan-Darien School District families,All Delavan-Darien School District after-school activities scheduled for today, 1-11-18, have been canceled due to the weather. Please check our website, www.ddschools.org, for further updates.Thank you.*****Estimadas Familias del Distrito Escolar Delavan-Darien,Todas las Actividades Despu és de Clases del Distrito Escolar Delavan-Darien programadas para el día de hoy, 1-11-18, han sido canceladas ... read morePublished Thursday, January 11, 2018
- CLC Program Canceled Tonight: Thursday, Jan. 11, 2018ATTENTION PARENTS OF OUR CLC PROGRAM STUDENTS:Due to the threat of winter weather and icy roads tonight, Thursday, January 11, we are canceling our after school CLC program at Turtle Creek Elementary School.Students in the CLC program will need to ride their regular bus home at the end of the ... read morePublished Thursday, January 11, 2018
- Ready, Set, Go: Child Development ScreeningsReady, Set, Go!Free Child Development Screenings for Delavan-Darien Area Children Age 0-4 The Delavan-Darien School District is holding free Child Development Screenings for area children age 0-4 on Wednesday, January 31st. DOWNLOAD FLYERThe screenings will be held from 7:30-8:30 a.m. and again from 2-5 p.m. at Wileman Elementary School, 1001 E. Geneva St., ... read morePublished Thursday, January 4, 2018
- Bus Delays Due To Cold: Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2018Delavan-Darien Parents, Due to the cold this morning — Tuesday, Jan. 2 — some of Dousman Transportation Company’s buses are having fuel gelling issues. This has led to a reduction of routes being run and a delay in some buses reaching the regular stops on time. Please keep your child ... read morePublished Tuesday, January 2, 2018
- Delavan-Darien School Board approves petition calling for changes to school fundingDelavan-Darien School Board approves petition calling for changes to school fundingSign it online or in-person at our school offices.DELAVAN — The Delavan-Darien School Board has unanimously approved a petition to Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and the state’s legislature to make adjustments to the state equalized aid (revenue limit) formula.The petition asks lawmakers to take ... read morePublished Monday, December 11, 2017
Darien Elementary School 125 S. Walworth St., Darien, WI | Phone: 262-233-6400 | en Español: 262-233-6490 | Fax: 262-724-4147 | Contact Us | Nondiscrimination Statement
© Copyright - Delavan-Darien School District | This page last modified: Jan 4, 2018 @ 12:33 pm
The Delavan-Darien School District does not accept unsolicited email, phone or fax advertisements.